Friday, March 22, 2013

Pancakes can be healthy!


My husband's craving for English breakfast has been there since time immemorial! He has been harping this every weekend like a 'stuck tape recorder'. He wanted to take all of us to American Diner but we always manage to give him a better excuse to eat at home. I better do something about it. He is not going to let it go!

Pancakes has topped the chart.. as he loves his 'maa ke haath ka banaya hua' pancakes. He gets it sometimes when he is lucky, during their India visit.  

When I decided to make it for him this morning, I wanted to give it a healthy- yet-tasty twist to the recipe to keep the nutritional value intact.


Pancakes with a twist

What goes into the dish?

1 cup maida
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
1 cup milk
Salt to taste 

Toppings

Nuts (almonds, walnut, pista )
1/4 cup sugar
water

How to cook?

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl to a nice liquidy batter. Heat a non stick pan, put some olive oil and pour the batter into a roundy round shape on to the pan. Wait for it to cook and turn sides. Once it turns golden brown take it out onto a serving plate.

In a separate pan heat sugar and put 2 tsp water. Caramalise it. Roughly chop all the nuts and toss it into the pan. Once your nuts turn nice caramalised brown take it out and top it up on the pancakes.

Serve hot pancakes with honey (healthy option)/ chocolate sauce/ butter.

Husband’s reaction

Wow pancakes for breakfast …great. After having some of it, he says – ‘Nora, have you ever had a pancake? I said  - Yes, why? He says, Waise toh tumne ye pancakes accha banaya hai, but we got to order some when I come home, you taste both and then you will see the difference.
There you go… I have a long way to go but I have to try harder next time.

**Conditions Apply: All the dishes that I cook need not necessarily be edible. I am not responsible for any consequences after you try out these dishes.


6 comments:

  1. There is a way to make the pancakes fluffier than usual....lemme know if you wanna learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog and your suggestions. I know is it by adding baking powder? I did add it once and it turned out nice and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancake batter is mixed using a technique called as the Muffin-Mixing Method. In this method, you first mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Then make a well in the middle of your dry mix, pour in the wet mix and slowly, very very slowly fold it in with a rubber spatula. The resulting batter should be very very lumpy and unattractive to look that. And this will give you a lighter, fluffier pancake because you're not developing any gluten while mixing the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats very interesting. Must try this when i make it next time. Thanks a mill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the read! and even i will try now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank u Natasha darling...u must try!!!

    ReplyDelete