Friday, March 22, 2013

'Kadchi in my hand'


I love to feed people and throw parties but when it comes to cooking, I always run in the opposite direction. I have been very lucky to have a good cook in my house, she has been feeding us all this while! "Bless you Rinki". 

The world around me calls me a 'bad cook'. Guess that is what has driven me to start this blog. I am a foodie, so is my husband and such is the case with my entire family (which explains our size!). Food is always in our mind. While we are sulking or celebrating, partying or whining, traveling or at home; good food just brings a smile to our faces. So coming to think about it, if our life revolves around food then why not get my hands dirty ‘in the kitchen’!

Having unhealthy food outside on a regular basis can take a toll on your body and after some time you lose interest in eating. Before such a thing happens to me and my family, I have decided to take the ‘kadchi’ in my hand a start of by making an attempt to feed healthy food to my family. That does not rule out our ‘eating out’ option but yes I am making an attempt to change our lifestyle.

My mom is fabulous in kitchen and all these years, I only concentrated on savoring her delicacies rather than focusing on what went into the dish. This spring break when I was back home, I noticed her dexterity and ease in cooking our meals. Our house is a typical Oriya household where the mom cooks, and every member of the family wants a different dish for each of the meals served to them. And my mom never ceases to surprise me; we actually get different dishes on the table every single day. I salute her and whatever she cooks tastes so divine that a grin automatically comes to our greedy faces which is the ultimate trophy for her!

 I always thought that I will give her a hand but when I try to do anything for her I end up spoiling it so I chose to stay far away from the kitchen. But this time, I observed her closely and somehow I have overcome my phobia ‘to cook’. Really, I mean it! It took over 30 yrs but hell, I think somewhere in our busy schedule we have forgotten to make an effort because we are surrounded by ‘ready to eat options’. So I am all set… Are you?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, just realized you started a food blog! It took me a while to digest that...and so the reply ;)

    By the way, rewinding back to our Khirki days, i remember you as the only person in the house who would actually take the pains to cook. I could have your curd rice and the special Oriya tomato chutney day in and day out, while reveling in the fact that i could give my Maggi a break!

    That’s how i saw it back then, a pain! Talking about the present, i think everything apart, cooking is a great stress buster. If one ignores the typical shackles of being confined to the kitchen and approach it with an open mind, cooking could do wonders for the soul! Right from peeling to chopping to adding various spices and the like, everything can actually serve as a pleasant diversion. In fact, i see it quite like meditation - singularly focusing on creating something.

    For the record, all this dawned upon me after i got married. My husband is the same breed as yours - an out and out foodie! Moreover, i realised, he would never ever have anything cooked by a maid, and so just like you...i took 'the kadchi in my hand!'

    Marriage also made me see my mum in a different light. I realised how i never offered to help her but kept expecting great food (at times thrown with dessert) day after day. And i recently learnt, Ma hadn't stepped into the kitchen till she got married! Wow, like mother, like daughter…though she's way ahead and that's how i want it to be. I never wish to stop learning from her. Mum here includes my mum-in-law too...and prefixing that title with 'Kashmiri' can surely make you imagine what all recipes I stand to get my hands on with a fab cook such as herself :)

    You're cooking a great idea here babe. I just love your spirit of giving a shot to something new every now and then! Be it gardening or this, bring on the chef's hat, girl! Will look foward to you serving us with more! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shreya, very few people have such confidence in me when it comes to cooking. So thank u very much indeed, you are my true friend. Talking about the current scenario, you are way ahead of me lady, the kind of cooking you do, I have not even managed that many dishes in the past 6 years of my marriage.

    You are right, cooking can be be a great stress buster but till date it has given me stress. And yeah I like to try my hands in different things (like any gemini) coz I get bored of mundane and repetitive things in my life.

    Thank u again for all your encouragement and spending time to write your thoughts on my blog. Lov Ya!

    ReplyDelete